Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Go On An Adventure

There was a time that when you sat down to play a game, video or pencil & paper, that you had no idea where you were going to end up. You only knew that you were about to go on an adventure. What happened to that?

Playing Neverwinter over the past week I've come to realize there are people out there that either don't care for the adventure or have never been on one. One of the features of the game is a sparkling path that will lead you to the next point on the map for you current quest. Following a sparkling path is not going on an adventure. It is simply following the easiest route from A to B. If you look at some of the Neverwinter videos I have posted you will see it. Yes, you can turn it on and off. I've gotten to the point I don't even realize it is there any more. I want to go on an adventure. I want to see every nook and cranny of the map. I want to climb the rocks that weren't supposed to be climbed. I want to wade across the river others see as a barrier. I want to experience the entire game world. Maybe I'm just odd in that regard.

So when did we lose our sense of adventure? I don't know. I think it has slowly crept up on us. Maybe it started with the Game Shark or the Contra Code. People began looking for easier ways to get to the end of the game. I admit I'm guilty of this myself. When World of Warcraft came out people began making add ons that would show you where to go, what to click, when to do something, you name it. The game was no longer about playing it was about clicking the right thing at the right time to get the right reward. There are animal behavior studies that have done the same thing. Neverwinter has really made it obvious though with this sparkling trail. However! The developers make you pay a price, so to speak, for taking the easy path to the goal. You miss most of the resource nodes, treasure chests and a number encounters that provide loot. To ignore the sparkling trail means finding better loot, more resources and having more fun in game.

Don't worry about reaching level X. Don't be concerned with what the next quest may have. Don't be in such a rush to reach the end. Enjoy the game and take the advice offered by +Shawna Mac.



Image by Shawna Mac. Click to embiggen.

No comments:

Post a Comment